Kyiv in 1890. The word pechera means cave. The word lavra is used to describe high-ranking monasteries for monks of the Eastern Orthodox Church. Therefore the name of the monastery is also translated as Kiev Cave Monastery, Kiev Caves Monastery or the Kiev Monastery of the Caves
According to the Primary Chronicle, monastery was build by architects from Constantinople.
The Great Lavra Belltower The Cathedral of the Dormition
Plan of Kiev Pechersk Lavra the ruins of the Cathedral of the Dormition in 1942.
Burnt Odigitria This icon burnt with the ruins of the Cathedral of the Dormition.
Monument to Konstanty Ostrogski
«The Great Church of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra» painted by V. Vereshagin
Ukrainian postmark in 2007.
Orthodox pilgrim in Kiev Pechersk Lavra - women must cover their head while entering Lavra.